Flexible study options to meet your needs
At TAFE NSW - South Western Sydney Institute different courses may be studied in different ways. You need to look at the specific course you wish to study to discover how the course is being delivered.
There are several ways we describe these flexible study options:
- Online learning uses a range of technologies and tools such as the world-wide-web, email, web and video conferencing delivered over networks.
- eLearning combines a wide set of applications and processes which use electronic media. eLearning can be used in the classroom, workplace or online.
- Flexible learning expands the choice on what, when, where and how you learn.
- Blended learning combines all of the above i.e. online, eLearning and flexible delivery blended to meet the needs of students and industry.
- Block release occurs when students attend college for a block of time at different intervals e.g. one week every two months.
You also need to know if you have the required skills to undertake different study options. The online course Prepare for e-Learning will help you with this self-assessment.
When you undertake different study options at South Western Sydney Institute you will always be supported by your teachers. They will be in contact with you via online discussion forums, email or phone calls.
If you agree, you will also have the support of your fellow students in the same way your teacher communicates with you through eLearning tools described below!
eLearning tools at South Western Sydney Institute
- Moodle is a learning management system or a group of tools to deliver content and communicate
- wikis are a collaborative online space where you can work with other students and your teachers
- We also have available video and web conferencing
Please note: the tools available depend on the design of your course. So again you need to find out what options are available to you with your preferred course/s.
Courses are organised in many ways. You might study full time or part time. Your course could be:
- A long course which goes for a year or more.This could be studied at college, at work or at home.
- A short or fast track course which may be completed in a number of days or weeks.
- A customised course created to suit the specific needs of your workplace.
- Flexibly delivered through a combination of onsite, college and online methods.